Druze reincarnation & the Druze as a political entity

Social Anthropologist Gebhard Fartacek (check out his work on shrines in Southern Syria) from the Austrian Academy of Sciences edited a reader about Druze reincarnation narratives. The book was just published this week and the e-book is also available as open access via Peter Lang Publishing. If you are interested in Druze religion you will find interesting contributions by Fartacek, Lorenz Nigst (University of Vienna), Eléonore Armanet (Aix-Marseille University)Nour Farra Haddad (Saint Joseph University) and Salma Samaha (Lebanese University).



I was asked to provide an overview of the current political situation of the Druze communities, which I did basically by summarizing all my existing research after a decade long preoccupation with different dimensions of Druze politics. One might notice that even though my chapter has "contemporary situation" in the title, some recent crucial events are not mentioned like the devastating attack on Druze villages by ISIS in July 2018 which would have changed my assessment of the situation in Syria, but also the appearance of female Druze representation in national politics and the ongoing sliding of Lebanon into the abyss. All these events occurred after I had submitted the first version of my manuscript and I decided to ring down the curtain there and spare any later subsequent adjustments of content.


You find the full book open access via the publisher's homepage:

Gebhard Fartacek and Lorenz Nigst also set up a whole research project around reincarnation among the Druze which I recommend checking out taqammus.at

Comments